30.5.13

Small Awakenings

Today Little Abear earned a treat at the grocery store. 

We piled into the car, turned the corner, and entered our destination. I had a brewing headache, so I decided to sit on a Starbucks couch as the boys went about their errand. As I was enjoying a magazine, I noticed a small boy nearby reading a publication of his own, something light - just the fall of the Persian Empire. 

Anyhow, the boys returned and this new friend began conversing with me about his magazine, Little Abear's prize and anything else that came to mind. His mom was sitting nearby keeping a watchful eye, and after a bit she came over and joined in the conversation. As if it should explain something, she mentioned that our new friend had Autism. We told her we wished the world was more like him. 

This brings me to my first point. 

Why do we as a society put so much emphasis on personal challenges? Why does it matter to us who has been born with their own obstacles? Aren't we all disabled in one way or another? I fear that most of the world's disabilities have been self-induced. I'm sure that "disabled" folks would get along just fine if it weren't for the rest of us. 

Point #2. 

I have met quite a few folks with physical challenges, and some seem to be much happier than the rest of us.
It's as though the Good Lord gave them some sweet elixir before sending them to earth. 

We are a money grubbing self-interested society overall. I'd say we have something to learn from the meeker beings - from the souls that have only regard for a smiling face. I hate social injustice - and our new friend and all like him have been plagued by the socially inept. I have found myself full of indignant pity for the less fortunate, which can be just as detrimental to the soul. 

I long for a day when we are all on equal ground. All wrongs are made right, when unkindness is no longer an option. Oh how outrageously different Heaven will look. 

Tonight, I'll be thankful that something was re-lit in me that hasn't been stirred in far too long.  

No comments: