19.11.12

Just a Kiss

While Christian and I were running errands today we were spared from a car accident. No, I'm not saying this was some sort of near death experience, but it could've been painful and an insurance irritation to deal with after the fact. We were spared, but sadly a lady and her little boy driving near us were not. 
They got hit by someone making a U-turn, the offender in the situation jumped the median after the impact and started driving down the wrong side of the road before coming to a stop a little ways down. As far as I could tell no one was seriously injured, but the mom who was hit was understandably shaken up. Her sweet little boy Emmanuel (isn't that such a sweet name?!) was standing solemnly by his mom while we waited for their family and help to arrive. Despite Christian's kind efforts of giving the little boy his straw, he stood there quietly holding a stuffed toy that looked like it might have been thrown from a vehicle, possibly during the collision. When we left they were being checked on and their family had arrived. While I imagine this was a long day for all involved, I'm glad it wasn't worse. 

Since Christian was very young, I've tried my best to give him a kiss almost every time I put him in the car. A kiss so he knows I love him, with the added thought of "just in case something happens". Sometimes the post car seat placement kiss can be a little forced when there's a stubborn two year old testing my nerves, but I try to remember to give it nevertheless. I know this might seem so trivial, so meaningless - but I thought if I was going to spend time mentioning something, it might be this. There are habits that are destructive, habits that are useless, and habits that might hopefully create some sort of positively lasting memory. Today is a good reminder of why I have my little routine. I say this not to bring importance to myself, but to encourage you to act in a recurring way of love to those around you, to remind you that the things our children/husbands/family/friends see us do out of love, they might hold onto as something precious. 

No comments: