3.7.12

DIY: Jam

 




DIY, or in my case TIY (try it yourself) blackberry/blueberry jam. The creative process is almost always a lesson in humility for me. This second go round of homemade jam had a few mishaps, *cough*burnt towel*cough*, and a few other "oops" moments, but the hands on process of creating was still fun amidst the chaos. This go round turned out a little runny from a bit too much water in the beginning, but the taste was perfect, and ideal for a little summer afternoon sweetness nonetheless.If you happen to make a runny batch, I found a site that explains how to "re-thicken" it if you will. Just click here.

My mom told me the "how to's" of this recipe, and for step by steps I referred to a general book about country living. For this recipe I used:

1 regular size carton of blackberries
1 handful of blueberries
1 lemon
1 cup of sugar (approximately)

Mash the berries with a potato masher, and put them in a pot with the sugar, and a very small amount of water at the bottom to keep them from burning. Bring the berries and sugar to a boil, reduce the heat and add in the lemon juice. Once you've reached your desired consistancy ladel it into a clean jar. Put the jar in a boiling water bath for ten minutes to seal. Refrigerate once opened.




Annnnnnnd....





Voila! Delicious homemade jam!




No comments: